We are now offering telehealth therapy sessions to existing and new clients who reside in New York State. Due to the recent developments, insurance companies are now covering Teletherapy and video psychotherapy.
If you are experiencing distress, please reach out to see how we may be helpful to you. Call 516-221-9494.
If you are in crisis and require immediate help, a free mental health hotline for New Yorkers has been created. This hotline will offer free emotional support on a one time consultation basis. The phone number to call is 844-863-9314.
What is depression like? It’s like drowning except you can see everyone around you breathing.
How Do You Know If You Are Depressed?
Like Robin Williams, it might be hard to reach out when we feel as if no one could possibly ... understand the emptiness inside, not when we seem to have “so much” on the outside.
Sometimes, it seems too hard to explain that we don’t feel as if we have “everything” – we feel instead like we are lacking something.
Indeed, chronic depression is not always so obvious, sometimes to ourselves, or sometimes to others. We might know that something is wrong with our thinking and how we are experiencing the world, but how do we recognize that?
Some Symptoms Of Depression:
- Feeling very irritated by small things.
- Knowing that it could be helpful to reach out to others or become involved in activities, however not having the energy or motivation to do so.
- Wondering why everyone around you is happy when you’re not.
- Having days of darkness, where you miss work or family activities because you need time alone.
- Wanting to be alone often, so that you don’t have to pretend at happiness.
- Feeling as if the people around you are very sensitive to your moods – as if they have to make sure not to bug you.
- Sometimes feeling very old and brittle.
- Very critical of ourselves and others – take any criticism very negatively, even if meant kindly.
- Sometimes feeling as if the world is out to get you, as if nothing can go your way.
- Think that the people around you (family, co-workers, etc.) would be better off if you weren’t there – that even your children would be better off with a different father or mother for them.
If you feel like this describes you or a loved one, please reach out! My hope for you today is that you find a person with whom you can speak about your feelings.